HOW-TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SURF LEASH
1. What length Surf Leash do I need?
The general rule of thumb is go as long as your board length, so that means
|Board Length||Leash Length|
|Up to 5ft 5||5ft|
|5ft 6 - 6ft 5||6ft|
|6ft 6 - 7ft 5||7ft|
|7ft 6 - 8ft 5||8ft|
|8ft 6 - 9ft 5||9ft|
|9ft 6 plus||10ft|
(Click through on the Length above to browse our range)
2. What Thickness of Leash cord do I need?
Basically the thicker the leash, the stronger it will be, but there will be more surface area to drag in the water.
For Beginners & Intermediates we always recommend a 1/4 inch (6.35mm) or thicker. For more advanced surfers we'd recommend a 1/4 inch (6.35mm) or thicker for bigger days and bigger boards, and a thinner leash under 6mm for smaller days.
3. Any other features to look out for?
Swivels? - Having a decent swivel at both ends will help avoid the leash tangling and getting in the way when the wave of the day comes through (all of our leashes have double swivels, be wary of cheaper ones that don't).
Ankle or Calf/Knee cuffs? - Ankle for most people but Longboarders do sometimes prefer a Calf/Knee option to keep the feet free for board walking and for comfort.
Click through on the Lengths in the table above or shop our Leash Category Page.
Buying Guide for our Dakine Leashes
FINDING THE LEASH FOR YOUR SURFING NEEDS
Here are summaries of the Boards360 stocked leashes Micah talks through.
KAIMANA PRO COMP/TEAM
- Designed for an everyday shortboard and step up (a shortboard that's a few inches longer than a standard shortboard).
- Pro Comp leash thickness of 3/16-inch and Team is a little thicker at 1/4-inch.
- Comes in 6 and 7ft in length.
- The thicker the leash, the stronger it is but the more it will slow you down. A thin leash will be better suited for smaller waves or competition riders as it provides less drag and makes catching waves easier.
- Targeted for surfing waves double or triple overhead.
- Design to withstand powerful waves.
- Exclusive 5/16-inch thick urethane duracord, stronger than the Kaimana leashes.
- Comes in 8, 9 and 10ft in length.
- Designed for head high or for waves a few feet over your head.
- An everyday, 1/4-inch thick leash.
- Comes in 6, 7 and 8ft in length.
- Perfect for a shortboard and step ups.
- This leash provides a light weight feel on the ankle.
LONGBOARD CALF LEASH
- Want to switch things up and dance to the nose? This calf leash will give you the room to do so.
- 1/4-inch thickness and over 9ft of leash to play with.
Check out our range - Shop all