The Government have published their roadmap out of lockdown. Happy days. We all need a haircut and let’s face it a night off the cooking wouldn’t go amiss!
But as board riders what we really want to know is; when we can get back out there to shred with our crew, without getting a fat fine? Forget the roadmap, what’s the ridemap out of lockdown?
Technically, as outdoor leisure venues, beaches and skateparks remain closed, though the application is patchy. It’s harder to enforce beach closures of course. And according to the rules you can still surf with a buddy, as it counts as outside exercise. But a word of warning. The lack of lifeguards, leisure and toilet facilities, combined with the instruction to stay at home and stay local means you may have some explaining to do when you paddle in.
So, when can we expect to be able to ride with no restrictions at all? There’s a lot of what ifs, but if infection rates and hospital admissions continue to fall at the rate they are now, the following dates are the ones to watch.
From 8th March
- Stay at home rule applies, only essential shopping trips and exercise allowed
- Two people from different households can meet locally outside for exercise once a day
- Outside leisure facilities, including beaches and skateparks, still closed
What it means: Surf, SUP or street skate with one another ripper, but stay local
From 29th March
- Stay at home rule ends, but you’re still encouraged to stay local
- Rule of six (remember that!) comes back into play so you can meet in groups of six outside for exercise or leisure
- Outdoor sports venues allowed to reopen
- Outdoor leisure venues remain closed
What it means: Head to the local skatepark with your crew. Surfers and SUPs have to keep it to 2 people for a bit longer.
No earlier than April 12th
- Rule of six still in place
- Outdoor leisure venues can open
- Holidays away from home permitted
What it means: Beaches and skateparks officially open!!! Grab your crew and hit up your favourite spots. Plan a road trip if you like – you deserve it!
No earlier than 17th May
- Groups of up to 30 can meet outdoors
What it means: Every spot is ON. Invite EVERY ripper you know. Summer’s almost here and you’ve got a lot of catching up to do.
Happy riding from the Boards360 team!
The dates above rely on certain criteria around reduced infection and hospital admission rates being met. For definitive advice regarding current restrictions the following pages will be useful: